National Immigration Services
An Immigration Law Firm


Green Cards
Temporary Visas
Hire our law firm
About us
Download free forms
Buy Immigration books



Grounds to waive the J-1 2 year requirement 



What are the grounds for which I can receive a waiver of the J-1 2 year residency requirement?


A waiver of the J-1 two year residency requirement can be requested based on the following grounds:  

(1) "No Objection" statement

The exchange visitors government, must state that they have no objection to the exchange visitor not returning to the home country to satisfy the two-year foreign residence requirement of Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended, and remaining in the U.S. if he or she chooses to do so.  

(2) Request by an Interested United States Government Agency

If the exchange visitor is working on a project for or of interest to a U.S. Federal Government Agency and that agency has determined that the visitors continued stay in the United States is vital to one of its programs a waiver may be granted if the exchange visitors continued stay in the United States is in the public interest.  

(3) Persecution

If the exchange visitor believes that he or she will be persecuted upon return to the home country due to race, religion, or political opinion, he or she can apply for a waiver.  

(4) Exceptional Hardship to a United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident Spouse or Child of an Exchange Visitor

If the exchange visitor can demonstrate that his or her departure from the United States would cause extreme hardship to his or her United States citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or child, he or she may apply for a waiver. (Please note that mere separation from family is not considered to be sufficient to establish exceptional hardship.)  

(5) Request by a designated State Health Department or its equivalent

The law permits only medical doctors to apply for a waiver on this basis.  

Pursuant to the requirements of Public Law 103-416, of October 25, 1994, foreign medical graduates who have an offer of full-time employment at a health facility in a designated health professional shortage area, and agrees to begin employment at such facility within 90 days of receiving such waiver and signs a contract to continue to work at the health care facility for a total of 40 hours per week and not less than three years, may obtain a waiver.




Copyright 1997-2001 National Immigration Services All Rights Reserved

This is an advertisement, no attorney/client relationship is established by viewing the contents of this site. As immigration law is constantly changing, information is provided as-is and does not constitute legal advice. Visitors are urged to contact experienced immigration counsel for their immigration matters.