National Immigration Services
An Immigration Law Firm


Green Cards
Temporary Visas
Hire our law firm
About us
Download free forms
Buy Immigration books



J-1 two year residency requirement 



How do I know if I am subject to the 212(e) two year residency requirement?


Exchange Visitors may be subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement of Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended, for one or more of the following reasons:  

they received funding from the United States Government, their own government, or an international organization in connection with their participation in the Exchange Visitor Program;
  • the education, training, or skill that they are pursuing in this country appears on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for their country;
  • they acquired J-1 status on or after January 10, 1977 for the purpose of receiving graduate medical education or training.

    Exchange visitors who are subject to, but do not wish to comply with, the two-year home country residence requirement may apply for a waiver of that requirement under any one of five applicable grounds provided by United States immigration law




    Copyright 1997-2001 National Immigration Services All Rights Reserved

    This is an advertisement, no attorney/client relationship is established by viewing the contents of this site. As immigration law is constantly changing, information is provided as-is and does not constitute legal advice. Visitors are urged to contact experienced immigration counsel for their immigration matters.